Wednesday, March 02, 2016

The final move

I probably shouldn't title something "the final move", but there you have it. 

An insane amount has happened since my last post, so I'll keep it to the newest update. 

In early 2015 I kept feeling like we needed to look at jobs in Utah.  It was frustrating because Wayne had just began working at Willamette Valley Cancer Institute in Eugene, OR.   Everything was moving smoothly.  He enjoyed his job, the people were wonderful and we were settling into life in Oregon.  The thought of moving the kids again was not something I even wanted to think about.  I ignored the gut feeling for three months.

In March Wayne said to me, "We need to figure out if we're going to buy or build a house."  My stomach lurched.  I knew that staying in Oregon was not right for us.  I just didn't know why.  I looked at Wayne and said, "I need to tell you something, but please don't get mad."  Wayne doesn't get mad, but I knew this would be coming out of left field.  I told him that I keep feeling like we need to look at jobs in Utah. 

It was like I punched him in the gut.  It looked like the blood drained from his face, but in Wayne fashion he looked at me, nodded his head and said, "I trust you.  If that's the way you feel let's start looking." 

I wanted to cry.  I think I was shaking.  It was scary to jump off a cliff not knowing what would be at the bottom.  We made a plan and started contacting friends who worked in his field in Utah.

Let me just say that when Wayne finished fellowship there were NO jobs in Utah.  Well, no jobs that fit what he was looking for.   Sometimes it's a tough place to push into.  Many people want to move back near their families after multiple years living away.  I didn't know how this would go, but we moved forward with complete faith.

We talked to IHC in St. George.  Wayne has multiple friends from medical school and training that work there.  It would have been fun for both of us.  After meeting for lunch they said that they weren't sure if they would need someone when we'd be available, but wanted to keep the communication open.  They had just hired two Oncologists.  We went back to Oregon still feeling good, but unsure.  In May I was browsing the internet and came across the big private cancer group in Salt Lake and Utah county.  It's especially tough to break into that one, but I was shocked to see a posting on their site for a Hematologist/Oncologist.  I looked at Wayne with big eyes and said, "Look."  We didn't think it was real.  This group almost always is a word of mouth kind of group, they don't really need to advertise anything.

Wayne was crazy busy with work and said, "If you want to call them, go ahead." 

With a bit of trepidation I called the number, spoke with the CEO, and was shocked out of my mind that there truly was a job opening.  After a twenty minute conversation I hung up with the CEO.  He was very upfront that they had interviewed multiple people, but was pleasant and helpful. 

I spoke with Wayne that evening about the details that I had gathered and he sent his C.V. to Utah Cancer Specialists before we went to bed.

The next morning they called Wayne and setup an interview over the time when I would be in Utah with the kids (summer vacation) so that I could attend the interview dinner and meet some of the women.

The interview went so well.  It felt so good.  We felt like we fit right in at dinner.

Wayne was told that they would get back to him within a month.  Two days later they emailed him and said their attorney was writing a job offer.

My heart soared.  My faith was strengthened.  I knew we were doing the right thing. 

Our attorney (and amazing brother) went over the contract on our end.  Everything came together and was signed.

Now, the hard part.  A few of the doctors in Oregon knew that Wayne was looking in Utah.  Not initially by choice, but it's a small world in medicine.  They didn't want to lose him.  He was close to becoming a partner.  Financially this move didn't make sense and they said that, but thankfully they understood.  The family card always trumps.  Wayne gave them eight months notice.

In January I flew out to Utah to look for a house.  I was here for eight days.  It was a lot to hope for, but I figured if I didn't find something we could rent.  I didn't want to, but we could.

After looking at six homes I found the place. 

We offered, they accepted.  Thirty days to closing.  Wayne and I decided it would be better for the kids to start school earlier as opposed to later, so the kids and I moved February 20th.  Wayne will be done March 25th. 

I woke up at 3:00 a.m. on the 20th and realized it would be silly to just lay there, in the hotel, until my alarm went off at 4:00.  I woke up the kids.  Wayne helped get everything in the car and we were on the road at 4:00.  We made amazing time.  The kids were fantastic.  We arrived at our new home at 5:45 Utah time.  The kids LOVE it. 

Our family has been amazing.  So many of them have helped me unpack, move things, setup networks and home theater systems, and been there for the kids through the transition.

Wayne does have a week of vacation that was planned last May.  He will be coming out March 12th - 20th.  Then he'll fly back to Eugene for one more week of work.  I can't wait until he's here. 







1 comment:

Charity said...

Wow, how exciting. I was shocked to see you moved from Oregon- Thanks for sharing your neat experience of faith and following the spirit. How wonderful to be near family again after so long. We wish you the best!