Sunday, April 11, 2010

Easter, NYC, and tonsillectomy

The kids had a blast at the neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt a few Saturday's ago. The weather was in the 80's and it was perfect. It was our first Easter in Rochester where it wasn't raining, muddy, and cold. Lexi couldn't believe that she was able to run around and pick up eggs with candy hidden inside. They finished in promptly five minutes are were ready to head home with their stash.






They woke up Easter morning to baskets full of candy and toys. I loved that General Conference fell on Easter Sunday. It was the perfect way to spend the day. Since conference doesn't start until noon here we had a brunch with friends before. I'm incredibly thankful for the knowledge I have of the resurrection.

On Wednesday I headed to New York City with one of my best friends, Katie.
She's moving to Texas in less than two months, sniff sniff. We just had to have a girls trip before she moved away. I still can't believe we actually did it (It would have been complete if Jaime could have come though). Wayne held down the fort (thanks Babe!). We woke up early, hit the road at 5:00 a.m. and stayed at the New Yorker right next to Madison Square Gardens. It was perfect. We lucked out and were able to check into our room at 12:30 (normal check in time is 3:00). We put our stuff down and starting walking. We walked, and walked, and walked in perfect weather . . 92 degrees! As we were walking down 42nd street we came to Mary Poppins. It was 1:15 and we decided to head to the box office and see if there were any tickets left for the 2:00 matinee. They had a few single tickets left. So, we bought them. We were in the 3rd and 4th row. It was perfect. The show was spectacular.
We continued walking towards FAO Schwartz. The kids would have loved that place. I'm actually glad they weren't there. We would have never left. I was, however, able to get some pictures with some Lego celebrities.
The boys thought it was the coolest thing.
And some furry celebrities on Broadway. By the time Katie and I walked back to the hotel it was 7:30 p.m. I took a few pictures of the view of the Hudson River from our room as the sun was going down.
We decided to drop off our goods at the hotel and hit the Skylight Diner, which was supposedly voted the #1 diner in Manhattan. It was yummy. I don't know about #1, but I would recommend it. After dinner we walked to the Empire State Building. We decided to forgo the $20 fee to ride the elevator to the top and took pictures on the ground floor instead.
After walking by a few coo-coo people we decided to head back to the hotel and hit the hay.

On Thursday we saw this pretty lady from Battery Park. and went to the World Trade Center Visitor Center. We took the Subway back to the hotel, checked out and headed home. We stopped for some lunch in the Pocono Mountains at an outlet mall. Of course we had to shop just a little bit. I bought some pajama's for the kids and some Rocky Mountain chocolate for the family. Here are the kids with their souvenirs.
Jacob in his pajamas with his lego set, Trevor in his pajamas with his monkey and Lexi in her princess dress up. .

. . and a few more of her since she's so blasted cute in that little thing. I had the best time and am so thankful for an amazing husband who made it work.

Friday morning Trevor had his tonsillectomy. It's been scheduled for weeks. I can't believe how quickly the surgery date came. Trevor was nervous and told me before we left that he didn't want his lungs removed. I told him that he wasn't having his lungs removed. He later said, "I don't want my tonsils removed." I tried to tell him that his tonsils were too big and were making it hard for him to breathe at night. He could care less. I asked him if he wanted to say a prayer and he said yes. Wayne was pulled the morning of his surgery to work for someone. I couldn't believe it. He told me that he would meet us at the hospital lobby at 8:50 since we had to be there at 9:00. When we walked through the hospital doors he was there. He told me that his interns were awesome and he said a prayer of thanks when he saw who he would be working with on the computer. He would be able to stay with us unless there was a procedure or code that he needed to run. Even better news was that one of the other residents offered to work for him from 1 - 7 p.m. Wayne bought T a few books at the gift shop. Here he is reading them to him in the waiting room. As soon as we were taken back they had some little hospital clothes for Trevor to change into. Then they had an amazing gal come in and explain the mask and let him decorate it with stickers and yummy smelling chapsticks so that it would smell good when the gas came through. Wayne went back with Trevor and said that after about three deep breaths he was out. We headed to the cafeteria while he was in surgery since we didn't eat that morning. As soon as we paid for our food and started walking to the table there was a DING, DING, DING over the hospital intercom. Every doctor stopped dead in their tracks and listened. As soon as they said, "Blue 100". Wayne took off in a sprint. I sat down at the hospital cafeteria table with food for two and called my Mom. Wayne came back and ate before we headed back downstairs. We were only in the waiting room for a few minutes when the doctor came out and told us that the surgery went well and they removed the tonsils and some adenoid. It was only a few minutes after that when a nurse came to get me to head back to the PACU. Trevor was just waking up from anesthesia. I could hear a cry/moan/wimper. It didn't sound like my little boy. As soon as I turned the corner I saw two nurses holding him down and trying to comfort him. I hurried to him. As soon as he saw me he held out his arms and said, "Momma." The nurses handed him to me, he clung for dear life and I sat on a rocking chair and sang him lullabys. He wimpered and cried for about 20 - 30 minutes. The nurse put some morphine in his IV and he calmed down and fell asleep. When it was time to move to the recovery area I put Trevor down on the bed. He immediately opened his eyes and said, "NO Momma." He did not want me to leave him. The nurse said I could sit on the stretcher with him. I asked him if he wanted me to sit and cuddle with him and he said yes. As soon as I layed down by him he cuddled into me and closed his eyes again.
Trevor had to stay for four hours after surgery for observation. About 30 minutes after we were in the recovery room he had his first popsicle. I think he ate 8 before he was released.
The nurses ended up showing me and Wayne were the freezer was so we could get him popsicles whenever he wanted them. About 30 minutes before we left Trevor looked at the nurse and said, "Why are you making me sit here like this? I have energy." Of course he was hooked up to all sorts of monitors and IV's. It would have been difficult.

We had a rough night last night. He's in pain. We've had to force medicine down him and hear him say, "Stop hurting me." That has been no fun. We've been told his recovery period will be 7 - 10 days. Here's hoping for a quick week ahead.

5 comments:

Jodie said...

Trevor, we hope you feel better very soon! Emmalee came home from school on Friday and told me that Mrs. Hadzima prayed for you with the class. They all want you to get better so you can come back to school! We are praying for you!!

~Jodie
Emmalee's Mom :)

Wendy said...

Poor little guy! Max had surgery when he was 6 months old and that was torturous to watch him come out of anesthesia! He didn't do well. Little Trevor's face looked so different from his normal! Pulls at my heartstrings. Lexi looks tooooo cute in all the pics! She is just so darn adorable! (BTW, that 1st pic. of Jacob makes him look so old! I hate that you live so far...they are growing too fast!)

Scarehaircare said...

Trevor - get better quick! We'd send you popsicles from Idaho but they taste like potatoes.

Jules said...

What a fun girls' trip!! We went last year (my mom, sisters, Isabella and my sister's oldest) and saw Mary Poppins, too.

So sad to Trevor!! How hard to see him do that! I hope that the recovery is quick!

Maren said...

Trevors surgery sounded just like Laurels last year. She had a really hard time coming out of the anesthesia too. I hope he is feeling well now.

Sounds like your trip was a ton of fun.