Saturday, June 12, 2010

Graduation dinner/speech


Last night was Wayne's graduation dinner (nevermind my weird arm). It was at the Woodcliff Lodge. We drank Diet Pepsi during cocktails and enjoyed mahi mahi, grilled vegetables, and cesar salad for dinner. I was starving by the time we finally ate. Normally we eat anywhere from 5:00 to 5:30. This is especially true when Wayne is working long hours and won't be home for dinner. By the time dinner was served, at about 7:30, I was ravenous. I eyed the kids Subway sandwiches and literally forced myself not to eat the leftovers before we left the house at 6:00. I was so proud sitting next to my handsome, accomplished husband. By the time the presentation of names was complete and the director was through talking it was close to 10:00 p.m. We were both beat, drove to Wegmans to grab some Gatorade for my long Saturday run and made it home to relieve the babysitter by 10:30.

I was also able to go to the graduation luncheon that was held at the hospital. All of the Internal Medicine residents were invited. I'm guessing there were 50 - 75 people there. I went because Wayne gave the class speech. He was entertaining and enthusiastic. I expected nothing less of him. Between clips of Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy references and more a serious thanks for the support his class has shown to everyone in the program (especially our family) it was right on the mark. I was a little emotional when I saw a beautiful baby picture of Lexi and Wayne thanked Liz who covered his 27 hour shift so that he could be there for the birth of our little girl and then showed a picture of Trevor in the pre-op surgery room

and thanked Ben for covering him so that he could be there for his little boy who was scared before his surgery. Residents gladly covered for him when his grandfather, the only grandparent he really knew, passed away last year so that we could attend the funeral in Utah. I have been incredibly thankful for a supportive, positive, and compliant program. I know now why we were most definitely led here for residency. Congratulations Wayne!! I wish I could surprise you with an incredible surprise cruise, or better yet, an Audi for graduation. Until we can do something like that, I just want you to know how incredibly proud I am to stand by you during this long journey. I love you.

5 comments:

WendyJ said...

Congrats! You are so skinny! Maybe I should start running too. Good luck in your final year.

Wendy said...

Wish we could have been there! We're so proud of you both!

Jaime said...

Congrats to Wayne! Can't wait to hear about where you guys are heading for the next part!

Shelly said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to reunite with you guys in MN. Sorry my blog has been a little empty lately. We finally get home from all our travels tomorrow so watch for an update this week. Miss you Haley!!

cam said...

Congratulations! We finish this year also and it is hard to imagine being done with this step of life. You look beautiful by the way!