Thursday, September 09, 2010

VACATION!!!

We just returned from a month of a high gear, rootin' tootin' great time.

My sister, Sam, flew out from Salt Lake City and stayed with us for a week. She arrived late on August 10th. We wasted no time and took off early the next day to Sandusky, OH. Wayne also worked an overnight shift that night, came home at 7:00 a.m. and we took off at 8:00 a.m. The hope was that he would be able to sleep with earplugs. WELL, it didn't turn out quite as we planned, but he somehow survived. Not only survived, but told me and Sam to take off that night after we arrived to enjoy some sisterly girl time.

We stayed at Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky. Oh, how we love this place. The lodge in Sandusky was smaller than the other ones we've stayed in the past. Even still, the kids had a ball.

The next day we went to Cedar Point. A monstrous amusement park known for its out of control roller coasters and thrill rides. Jacob had been scouting out all of the rides for the previous month. He told Wayne that he wanted to go on all of the roller coasters (outside of two since he wasn't big enough). The first roller coaster they came to was this baby.
Oh, he wasn't scared when it was over, he was MAD. Not only that, he was mad for three hours. He absolutely despised it and was completely appalled that Wayne took him on it. Wayne reminded him that he wanted to go on it after looking at the pictures online. It was no use. He perked up after we took him on a few less intense rides. When I took the kids to kid land it was perfect.



Wayne and Sam went on a roller coaster and it was great until Lexi decided it was time to go to the bathroom NOW. The boys were at the front of the line and I was the only adult. I told her to wait a few minutes since we had just been to the bathroom 30 minutes prior. She did the dance and kept saying she needed to go and then, silence. I looked at her as a river is running on the sidewalk between her legs. I looked around and saw parents shoulders bouncing up and down as I sat there speechless. I didn't pack a change of clothes or underwear. Wayne and Sam returned just after the incident and Sam and I went with Lexi in search for underwear, pullup, anything. We finally found a parent lounge, explained the situation, and asked if they had a diaper. The nurse graciously pointed us in the right direction. As soon as I opened the cabinet I discovered that the only size diaper was a size 2. I think a size 2 is supposed to fit a baby up to 14 pounds. Lexi is 34. I felt like I was trying to fit a corset over her little bum. We managed and left. RELIEF. Wayne took the boys on some rides, so the girls went and bought some Dippin Dots. As soon as we sat down I heard a rip. I immediately looked at Lexi. She pulled her skirt up and showed me the completely destroyed diaper. At this point we had been there for five hours. The kids were tired, so we decided it was a good time to go. Wayne, again, was awesome and took the kids to the water park at the hotel while me and Sam went back to Cedar Point. We had a total blast.



See that roller coaster in the background?? It's called Dragster. It reaches a speed of 120 MPH. You literally go straight up, crest at the top and go straight down. I don't know if I've ever screamed and laughed so hard.

We headed back to Rochester the next day. Stayed home for a few days and then took off to Cooperstown, NY. Wayne is going to be working at the hospital there a little bit this year. They sent some free Baseball Hall of Fame passes for us and provided the hotel so we decided to jump on it. It is such an adorable place. They call it the village there. It seems fitting. The kids were done at the Baseball Hall of Fame an hour after we arrived. We later dropped Wayne off at the hospital, headed to an orchard, bought 2 pounds of fudge and ate at a fun small town cafe.


I loved this picture of the kids watching the ducks.

Just talking to Babe Ruth.

We arrived home at 7:30 pm and starting packing for our flight that left the next morning for Utah. The kids were awesome on the plane. Our flight arrived at 2:30 in the afternoon. It really was perfect. Wayne's parents picked us up and had a fun swimming pool and water slide set up for the kids. They also cooked up some spagetti which we all loved.

We packed a lot in the first week since Wayne had to fly back to New York six days after we arrived. We were so lucky to get to go to one of our favorite restaurants, The Roof. This picture does not do the view justice. It is gorgeous up there on the 10th floor.

We also went to This is the Place Monument. I literally thought we were going to go see a monument. I was shocked that there was a pioneer replica village there. The kids rode ponies, pet baby animals, rode a train, played in kid sized homes. How did I grow up in Utah and not know of this place? We had a ball.






After Wayne left Ali and I took the kids to Hogle Zoo. That was hilarious. The kids were still as can be during the bird show. Trevor cracked me up when he saw a bird and asked, "Mom, is that a Macaw?" I truthfully could not tell you the difference between a macaw, parrot, toucan, they are all the same to me. I said, "I don't know, maybe." Two minutes later the show started and the host pointed to the bird in question and said, "This is our macaw." Um, HELLO. Trevor just looked at me and smiled. The smartypants. My boys wanted to see the Natures Nightmares exhibit. They LOVE gross and freaky things. Ryan, on the other hand, was scared to death. I'm not sure Ali really wanted to go either, but they put their best feet forward and journeyed into the 'nightmarish' place. Trevor was thrilled to see a dung beattle in there and promptly said, "They eat animal poop. It's ok, it's great for the environment."








That weekend we drove to Logan to stay with Kara and Andrew. It was perfect. We had so much fun together. Kara and I went to the Logan temple. Andrew took the kids on motorcycle rides around the block and quickly became the incredibly awesome Uncle. Kara made a delicious dinner the night before the Top of Utah half marathon that Ali and I ran together. We ate Aggie ice cream and went to Gossner dairy for some delicious cheese and . . . yes. . . more homemade ice cream. I would be in major trouble if I lived there.

Eric dropped me and Ali off the morning of the race. We caught one of the shuttles that drove us to the start line. It was all the way up Blackfoot Canyon. This trip was the first time that altitude affected me. I guess after seven years it was bound to happen. We were dropped off at a camp site. I felt really bad for all of the people who decided to make an outing that weekend. The race started at seven and people were being dropped off as early as 5:30. That was one early wake up call. The course was beautiful. I miss Utah mountains. It was so much fun to share that day with Ali. I finished in 1:43. It was Ali's first half marathon. She did awesome. It was so much fun to see her and scream and cheer at the end. We laughed at each other the rest of the day as we stumbled along.

Sammie colored my hair. I chose the color, rock star red. It's sassy and fun. See the picture of my Mom hanging on the wall in the background? I think she was 20 when it was taken. Beautiful. The photographer hung it in his studio for quite a while and when my Mom sent a copy to my Dad while he was on his mission, he about caught the next flight out of Argentina straight home to her.


I took a picture of Jacob's little six pack.



We celebrated Trevor's 5th birthday. He requested a banana cake.




Enjoyed roasting smores and eating hamburgers at my parent's neighborhood block party.



I saw one of my best Rochester friends, Jaime. So, so glad we just happened to be there at the same time. The kids are STILL dying that they didn't get to play with their friends (Jaime's kids).

Shopped with Grandma Rytting.



Took family pictures and spent a wonderful day with the Ormsby side of the family. I am so lucky to have incredible inlaws. Brett and Marianne rented blow up waterslides and my kids were in heaven playing on those things with their cousins.



We flew home Saturday, Sept. 4th. Jacob started 2nd grade that next Wednesday. Look how big my little boy is!!

Now we're looking forward to swim team, baseball, half marathons and marathons, family visiting, house hunting and at the end of this academic year, moving.

WHEW. I'm pooped.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

me too from just reading it! You guys have to be one of the funnest family's I know! Always up for such adventure, love that about you! And miss you sooo much. XOXO