Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Doctor in training

Last weekend Wayne was out of town.  It was a busy weekend filled with opening baseball games and parades.  I was hoping to sack the parade, but this is Jacob's last year with his team and I was putting one in for the team. I was relieved when Jacob said, "You know Mom, I want to skip the parade."  Don't ask me why I asked if he was sure, but to my relief, he was sure.  The kids played all morning with their friends and then we pulled out the uniform for his first game of the season.

Trevor and Lexi really don't care to watch baseball.  At times it's painful for me to keep them entertained, even with all of the activities I bring for distractions.  At least this year was a little better than last year, but just a little bit.

I had a gnawing headache that I couldn't kick and it continued to worsen.  By the time we headed home I was nauseous and the sun was bothering me.  The kids still played outside until 6:30 when I finally made them come inside.

When the front door was closed I sprawled on the couch.  The headache was heavy behind my left eye.  I think I was pale.  I just didn't feel good.

Jacob looked at me and said, "Mom, you don't look like you feel good."  I said, "Yeah, I don't feel good."  He said, "Don't worry Mom.  I'll take care of everything."

So, he marched upstairs with Trevor and Lexi in wake.  They all got in their pajamas, brushed their teeth, I peeked in when they were all kneeling on Lexi's bed to say their prayers, then Jacob tucked Lexi in bed.  She turned to him and said, "I want to give you a kiss, Jacob."  He immediately replied, "No, no it's ok."  She was determined, leaned in and right before she planted one on his cheek he said, "No . . .OK."  She was thrilled.  Her brothers don't let her do that often.  She yelled, "Goodnight Jacob!"  He tucked her in and went and tucked in Trevor.  Then he told me to go to bed.  It was 7:30 p.m.  I said, "Jacob, thank you so much.  You are such a good boy.  I love you."  He said, "I love you too and we are going to bring you breakfast in bed tomorrow."

He closed my door and headed downstairs to watch his show.  Two minutes after he tucked me in he came crashing in the room.  He had two pairs of jeans.  He said, "These are for you.  So you can choose what to wear before you come downstairs tomorrow."  I laughed and said, "Both of those pairs of jeans are Dad's."  So funny.

When his show was over at 8:00, he told me it was time to go to bed and turned out the lights.

Don't I have the best 8 year old ever?   Oh, and I had a lovely breakfast served by my adorable boys.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

I seriously think that is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard! What a great little guy. Sounds like he'll be a great catch for some lucky girl someday.

Hope you're feeling better.

Jaime said...

Oh that is so adorable. What a great little guy, too bad I don't have a little girl we could arrange that marriage right here quick!

Kara Klc said...

How sweet! I love the unconditional love between parent and child.

Unknown said...

What a great little man! That is so helpful!
I loved reading your story about the marathon, I'm glad you report! I didn't know your calf was giving you such problems. My foot has been retarded since my 2nd 20 miler. I was off of it for over a week. I didn't get a 3rd 20 in, but I'm hoping I'll be ok. Foot still hurts, but I still run!
That is great that Eileen did so fabulous and I love that you were able to do it w/ someone. I don't know if Matt would come and just hang out by himself, it helps to have a buddy!
Anyway, you are awesome! Still a great time! You are my running idol!