Sunday, October 27, 2013

Races

Wayne ran his first marathon in Indianapolis, IN last weekend.  After losing a bet to me three or four years ago he finally found the time to train and pay up.  We drove out with the kids on Friday.  The drive was eight hours and the kids did pretty well.  It's nice that they have ways to stay entertained while we travel.

The morning of the race it was cold and raining.  We ran to Wal-Mart to buy Wayne a poncho.  He was dressed and ready to go.  I think it was more like ready to get it over with.  He said his gloves were soaked and he ditched them at the beginning.  The skies cleared a few hours after the start.  The kids and I decorated shirts, threw on our warm gear and headed out to cheer.  At the finish there was a cheer zone shuttle that took you to cheer the runners at mile 17 and 21.  We were able to catch Wayne at 21.  It was so fun to scream and cheer for him.  Then we went to the finish and waited.  Once we saw him we all started jumping up and down.  Jacob and Alexis ran with him for a few minutes.

When he finished he just wanted to leave.  He didn't want to stop moving.  He was hurting.  I convinced him to check out the tent and see if there was anything he wanted to eat.  He went in and grabbed a few slices of pizza and a hamburger.  :)

I am so proud of him.  Of course I forgot my camera along the course.  Ugh!

Alexis turned six on October 23rd.  We had a bunch of girls here for her birthday.  She was in heaven.


I just returned today from Wisconsin with my awesome running gals.  They went crazy and decided to run a 50 mile solo race.  Of course I am dealing with an injury that kept me out of this one.  They are hurting pretty bad . . . and I wish I was right along with them.  It was fun to be team support.  I drove the Suburban everywhere.  I was at every exchange from mile 17 through 50.  It was emotional at the end.  Seeing the pain you put your body through to get to the finish was inspiring.  


On the way home we drove through Green Bay and decided to stop and take a quick snapshot of Lambeau Stadium.  
Ignore the way I look.  No makeup, hair back. :)

No comments: