Thursday, March 20, 2014

Tonsillectomy

Alexis has been scheduled to have to tonsils removed for the past two months.  She has cheerfully announced to everyone around her that she was going to have them removed.  A week before the surgery she was over the moon excited to go to the hospital and eat popsicles and ice cream to her hearts content.

We arrived bright and early.  Once it was time to go back she was all grins.  She kept asking the nurse, "When is it time to have my surgery?"  Instead of giving the kids the poofy blue surgical hats someone made kids fabric hats to wear and keep.  She chose one with flowers.  She had root beer flavoring added to her mask.  She was armed and ready.  

As she was being pushed to the surgical room she smiled at everyone who lined the hall.  It was her own personal parade.  I wanted to go back with her as she was going under anesthesia.  She certainly didn't need me there.  It was a really strange experience watching your child slowly drift away.  The doctor said I could give her a kiss and then I left.  

Wayne was able to meet me at the hospital.  We went and grabbed some breakfast and he picked up a stuffed animal for Alexis.  She adores it.  He gave it to her as she was waking up post surgery.  She held onto it with a vice grip.  She hasn't let go of it since.  It has completely been her comfort.  

We had to stay for four hours for her to be monitored.  She floored everyone with her positive and happy attitude.  Before we left the nurse gave us a picture of her tonsils photo shopped onto an animated character.  It's a bit strange . . . maybe slightly off putting.  :)

Recovery is always rough, but she has been a trooper.   A few days after surgery we went to Trader Joes. She found the goose knowing that she wouldn't be able to have the treat. As we were checking out she told the cashier that she found the goose. He pulled out the treats. She politely declined. He looked at me and said, "What can she have, Mom?" I told him she normally could have it, but had her tonsils removed on Monday. He asked Alexis what her favorite ice cream was. She told him mint. He said, "Go back and pick out mint ice cream on Trader Joe's. I hope you feel better soon sweetheart." She broke out into a huge grin. She has put down a whole bowl of ice cream. I think I am Trader Joe's most loyal customer now. 

No comments: