Saturday, November 11, 2006

Jacob's birthday party and Richmond marathon!

Jacob's birthday party was a success! He invited 14 of his friends over for his firetruck themed party. I obviously was not thinking when I planned the time because it was from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. Well, the sun sets just after five now. I was really worried about it. First, the details:

1. My friend is a cake decorator and made a firetruck birthday cake.
2. Each of the kids had a rescue hat in front of their plate where we ate pizza at the playground outside (the weather was beautiful -- in the mid 70's)
3. We did a firetruck pinata
4. The fire department came -- Jacob had no idea that this was going to happen. I didn't tell him because I wanted it to be a surprise and I wasn't sure if they would get an emergency call and not be able to make it. When they pulled up it was just turning dark. They turned on the lights and all of the kids were screaming. They were so excited! The firefighters had a hard time finding our place, so I ran to the firetruck. All of the kids ran after me. The firefighters were great! They let all of the kids walk from one side of the firetruck to the next, they showed them their equipment and answered all of their questions. I took each of their pictures in the truck too.
5. We had cake and ice cream with cute little firetruck candles.
6. Jacob opened presents - this is a picture of the "forklift and the other truck" that Jacob has been thanking Heavenly Father for in his prayers (everyday) for the past six weeks.

It was so much fun, but I am so happy that it is over!

The marathon was today! WHEW! It's over! The last time I ran Richmond it never got hotter than 62 or 63 degrees. Today it was 79 degrees! I'm totally sunburned. The first part of the race was fine, but by about mile 15 I was really hurting. I bought some sport beans (more sugary jelly beans -- if that is even possible -- to help with fatigue) and popped them in my mouth. It was a bad idea. My stomach was cramping, I was lightheaded, and my legs were cramping. If I walked I hurt, if I ran I hurt. I could have stopped, but I don't think I would have been able to start again. It was tough. I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel until at mile 18 I saw Wayne. He wasn't going to meet me to run me in until mile 21 or 23. It was seriously an answer to a prayer. I had some really bad miles -- 16 and 17 minutes. I know there were even more like that. Wayne was so supportive and really got me through the end of the race. The last four miles my stomach started feeling better and we ran a little less than 10 minute miles the rest of the way in, but my legs were DYING at the end. I considered going to the emergency tent. The final result -- 4:40:17. My goal was 4:20, but in the end I really was happy that I even finished the race considering the way I felt. I do wish that I could have made my goal. I hope that the next marathon is better.

3 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

Wow, that was one cool party! How on earth did you get the fire department to come out? I"m sure you have earned "Cool Mom" status for at least a week. Also, you are my hero with your marathon running. That is something I have always wanted to do. I was always last in the Presidential Physical Fitness races (I'm sure you are too young to ever have endured those). One of these days I'll prove to myself that I can do it. Hugs!

Unknown said...

Wow! You are such a cool mom getting the fire truck to come to the party! Great idea! It looks like it was a hit!

Congratulations on winning the 'head battle' on that marathon. I'm sure it was so tempting to just throw in the towel! You ARE a winner for finishing... even entering! Still, something I want to do! I admire you for doing it!

Anonymous said...

NEXT MARATHON?!! YIKES! You're nuts! haha I love Jacob's birthday idea. SO CUTE! - Jess