Saturday, August 25, 2007

Camping adventure





Jacob has been so excited to go camping. Before we came to Utah he knew that grandpa was going to take him (ward campout). Last night was the big night. My mom and I followed my dad because I was not going to camp in my state -- and Trevor is my wanderer and that could prove disasterous. We followed his Rav4 in my mom's Ford Taurus. When we got off the freeway and followed the road to the direction of the campground there was a detour. The guy at the bottom said to follow the other road and we'd find it. WRONG! There were no signs, nothing directing us. My mom and dad had been there before, but they had never been this way. We were going up and down hilly, rocky dirt roads. The Taurus struggled a bit and I was a little worried. I was thankful that the boys wanted to ride in Grandpa's "SUV". We wandered for a good 30 minutes before calling someone for directions. We were on the opposite side of the mountain. We traveled through more hilly roads to the other side. We finally saw signs that were, unfortunately, not clear. We went on another wrong road. My mom's car stopped and started going backwards. We were wigging out and the car went into a ditch. Three wheels were on the ground, one was suspended in the air. Thankfully we had cell phone service and one of the men at the campout brought his truck and equipment to pull the car out of the ditch. We were BEYOND frusterated. I thought I might have the baby on the mountainside -- total exaggeration. Anyway, we made to the campout. Apparantly there were many others who set out on the adventure and turned around and came home. Jacob was so excited to camp I didn't make him leave with me that night. My dad camped overnight with Jacob and Meg. He had a blast and made a new friend. I think it took me a good hour or two to calm down. The car only had a hard time up one of the hills on the way out. It was definitely an adventure I don't want to experience again. My dad took some pictures this morning, so Trevor isn't in any of them because he didn't spend the night. So, enjoy! He is sure getting big!

5 comments:

Jules said...

Yikes. And that is why I am a city-girl.

teamstowell said...

Are you kidding me? We would have had to change that baby's name if she'd been born out there with Alvin and the Chipmunks. However,
I am excited to hear that you're maintain your exercising routine; keeping your heart rate up, going the distance...with only weeks to go you are truly inspiring!!

Scarehaircare said...

Now if it would have rained you could have recreated that pioneer story of the woman having a baby while the RS sisters held bowls and pots over her head to catch the rain so she would remain somewhat dry....

Glad you all got out safe.

Anonymous said...

Oh - those pics make me homesick. I miss my Utah mountains! :-)

Unknown said...

Goll, it has been too long since I've been to visit the blog... let alone see you!!!
How are you? In UT?
We need to get together.
Hey, when you went to Disney you were preg right?
Call me when you get back.
Hugs!