Saturday, February 21, 2009

I feel empowered

Jacob has this whole week off for winter break. Wayne is working nights and I thought it would be a perfect time to visit my friend Jess who lives five hours away from me. I thought I could handle the drive alone with the kids. It wasn't too bad. McDonalds received a few visits from us. The kids soaked in the playland (and the germs that fester there, I'm sure).

It was great to see Mike, Jess and the kids. Jess and I went to high school together and were roomates in college. She dated Mike at the same time I dated Wayne. So we all know each other well. She has three kids that are exactly the same ages as my kids. It's funny how we became closer friends after high school.

We drove in on Monday afternoon. After playing crazily together Abby, Jacob, Trevor and Tyler all camped in the same room. That was hilarious listening to them fall asleep.

Jess and I went to a late movie. We saw the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I really liked it. It was fun to have some girly time sans kids!

Trevor was distraught because he slept in the pink sleeping bag our first night there. He woke twice in the night saying that he didn't want a girl color until I finally threw him into bed with me. I think I woke up with a black eye from all of the thrashing that kid does! I finally stuffed a pillow between the two of us. I hope that's under control before he gets married!

On Tuesday we went to the YMCA. Jess and I were the sole participants in the Zumba class. We laughed and laughed. It was really fun. I looked pretty lurpy doing some of those hip-hop moves. The poor instructor. I swear she was five feet tall. She just crunches into herself. I'm 5'8". I looked really weird doing some of that stuff. She kept saying do it like you're going pee-pee. I was glad when she considered me a lost cause and moved right along. We later took the kids to the park and let them get out energy. It was fun.

We left on Wednesday morning and came home only to turn around and go to swim lessons. I think I've finally recovered.

Jess, would you email me the picture that Mike took? Thanks!!

3 comments:

Charity said...

sounds like a fun trip. I think everyone needs to go on a little trip to last out these never ending winters here.

Shane and Myra - Est. 9/9/99 said...

I wish I could have joined it! What a great trip! Ha ha ha... your post made me laugh! Miss ya!

Suzanne said...

Glad you got some time away and some girl time! Sounds like you really enjoyed the trip! Good for you! -Suzanne