Saturday, January 09, 2010

First post of 2010

Alright, I admit it. I'm lazy about blogging lately. I have a TON of info to post and can't wrap my brain around what to write first.

I'm the ward music chair in my ward. I had three musical numbers (Silent Night, Infant Holy Infant Lowly, and The First Noel) picked for the ward sacrament christmas program. They were difficult Max Wilberg numbers. I was able to convince 15 people to meet at my house once a week for six weeks and sing. We also had a violin and viola play with The First Noel. I lost my voice two days before and wondered if everything would pull together where everyone would be pleased. I can't say how beautiful it was. The spirit was so strong and it was a fabulous meeting with speakers and music alike. I love my calling because of people who participate and make it completely enjoyable through all of the hard work.

Just before we left for Utah (for Christmas) Trevor had his first preschool Christmas program. It was so fun to watch him rocking out to Go Tell it on the Mountain and Feliz Navidad amongst other things. He has come to accept that preschool is not all that bad. He even told me that he was scared at the beginning of the year and that he likes it now. RELIEF. I just hope it sticks.

Wayne had a two week vacation block that started on December 14th. We took our time packing light so that we would have room for the presents that we would be bringing home. We haven't been back to Utah for Christmas in four years. Packing boots and all the snow gear was interesting. I was shocked that we were able to get everything back without shipping.

We flew out on the 16th and beat a massive snow storm that hit the east coast just two days later. Outside of the 5 1/2 hour layover in Cincinnati, the flight to Utah was great. We filled our days with grandparents, cousins, sledding, eating (oh yes, too much eating in fact), driving (to numerous sibling homes), cheering (on cousins in games and BYU in the Las Vegas bowl --GO COUGARS!!), playing (Settlers, Pictionary, Yahtzee, Wii), Christmas light watching (on Temple Square), riding (TRAX and rides at Jungle Jim's playground) and eating (did I mention that already -- 6 pounds later?). Jacob went ice skating for the first time. That was an adventure. I'm not sure if he really liked it or not. We were also able to go to a farewell and baptism which was a special treat since we are never able to go to things like that living in New York.

Wayne and I took a getaway too. We stayed at this little place.
We saw Avatar and The Blindside. We drove to Provo and watched BYU massacre the visiting team in basketball. We just loved being alone together.

Christmas Eve we stayed at my parents house. Ali and Kara's family also stayed there. It was a full house to boot. We stuffed stockings and played games after the kids went to bed. I was shocked that Jacob did not wake up once through the night. Every year I wait for it. At 6:00 a.m. Ali knocked on the door and said some kids were up. The kids about died over all of their toys. We loved being with family and seeing everyone so excited. Wayne and I were excited too.
Jacob wanted a remote control airplane. He loved flying it around until it hit something and broke. He told me it was a "disaster present". Thankfully, he loved this Star Wars lego ship that his grandma and grandpa gave him.
Trevor had a colony of bugs that he was thrilled fly, push, and frighten people with. He was incognito most of the day, but I was able to catch a few random photos. Lexi wanted a Barbie, which really surprised me since she has never really played with them before.
Frankly, she still hasn't played with her new one. She loves a little puppy that she received and some amazing toys from her grandparents. She's still singing a little jingle that she made up about 'Happy Utah'. She talks about Utah and her cousin, Jessica, at least once a day who holding her in this picture. It's obvious what kind of day she had. Or not. I have no idea where that stink face came from. The next picture with Sammi she was all smiles.
Nikki was sweet and shared her new dressups with Lexi.



Wayne spoiled me with a new camera. I love it!

The kids are rooting for Utah as Wayne is applying for a fellowship in Hematology/Oncology. We've heard from three programs so far (UNC, Duke and Vanderbilt) and are really excited for the next few months of interviews. The match is in June and then we'll leave Rochester after Wayne's chief year ending June 2011.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Haylie!!

Are you kidding me about the Christmas program?? You are amazingly talented with music, I am sure even on your worst day you are still fabulous!!

So glad you were able to come to Utah and spend time with your family. Nice "little" getaway. More like a "Grand" getaway to me!

Hope all is well and happy with you. I send you my love and positive vibes! -Suzanne

Jaime said...

This makes me want to go to Utah so bad (and get a night all alone! How'd it be?) I'm so glad you had such a great time - I sure did miss your face here!

Kara Klc said...

I love the picture of Nikki. The first one where she took off all of her clothes! She refuses to wear dress-ups on top of her clothes. I wonder when the modesty thing will kick in?!

Maren said...

It looks like you had a great trip. It was fun to see you and catch up for a few hours. Thanks for arranging it!

Jules said...

Glad your program worked out. I'm our ward music chair and choir director so I did the whole program, too. We got snowed out the Sunday before Christmas, and they had us do it the Sunday after and I was missing 1/2 my choir!! Disaster, but they pulled it off.

Is there any hope of us getting out of musical callings?