Wayne began the interview trail this month. I think I mentioned that he decided to do a fellowship for another three to four years in Hematology/Oncology. For those of us not used to medical jargon he'll be a cancer and blood disorder doctor. It's exciting to know what direction we're going for that final road of training. The University of Utah was his first interview. Amazingly, he was able to schedule three interviews down south in the same week. Normally the programs give you five available dates and you tell them which of those dates you would be available. Weirdly enough that week that he had those interviews scheduled was Winter Break here in Rochester (yes, the kids are given a full week off school in the winter). It's great if you have somewhere to go, not so great stuck at home for a week in cold winter weather. We decided to get up early, like 2 a.m. and get driving. The drive to Durham, NC was 11 hours and we needed to make the trek in one day. The kids were amazing. This was the first time we took full advantage of our DVD system in the van and hooked up the playstation for the boys. They LOVED playing Scooby Doo and we LOVED how it passed the time for them. Lexi watched Dora again and again. We were happy that there's a show that she'll finally watch. Wayne interviewed at the University of North Carolina, Duke and Vanderbilt while we were on the road. We stayed in Durham, NC for five nights, drove to Nashville, TN and stayed there for two nights, drove to Columbus, OH and stayed there one night and came home the next day. We were pretty sick of the car by the time it was all said and done.
Of course I forgot my camera. I really think it was the only thing I forgot and I would have preferred for it to have been something else. We saw the Stowell family in Nashville and picked up right where we left off. They are some of our dearest friends from medical school. Nick was the same class as Wayne. We feel like if we match at Vanderbilt we have family there in Nashville. I feel like I needed another week to completely catch up with Kristin. They were so great to take us places while we were there. Kristin hired a couple babysitters so we could go out to dinner together one night. As soon as we checked into the hotel she had flowers and a huge goody bag delivered to our room to welcome us. We're so lucky to have them as friends.
Medicine becomes a small world when you start moving around. We also knew people at Duke and UNC and it was wonderful to see them and get information about the areas. One friend put all of her six children in her minivan and drove me around parts of Durham for two hours to show me housing. Another lives in family housing and let me come to her home to check it out. The kids needed it too after being cramped in a hotel room for six days.
We lucked out on the drive. Other than some snow through the Appalachian mountains the roads were completely clear. The week before we left the east coast was hit with its biggest snow storm ever. The week after we returned they were bracing for more. I'm thankful that we slid in and out in the nick of time.
Wayne loved all of his interviews. He's heading to the Mayo Clinic next week. Ohio State and the University of Virginia are his final stops in the weeks ahead. Then the match is the third week of June. It will be an exciting time. The end of residency and the match.
Now to the pictures I do have. We had our first Snow Day last Friday. The weather reporter said that we received 17 - 18 inches of snow. We put on all the get up and went outside. We have igloos popping up like crazy here. The boys were admiring a hockey snowman that our next door neighbors made. Jacob was launching snowballs with his snowball blaster. Lexi was throwing snowballs at her brothers and melted down when they retaliated and softly sent one her way. I went cross country skiing for the first time with Eileen (my running friend) and I'm sure would have loved it if my heels didn't get torn apart and blistered. With all of that said, we're making the most of this mountain load of snow.
One more thing before I forget. Trevor had his first playdate a while ago with a girl. It's funny. Jacob always played with girls and boys. Most of the kids Trevor's age around here are boys, but we do carpool with an adorable little girl, Halle, for preschool three days a week. They live in our complex, but on the next road, so we don't see them at our playground as much. It's been fun to see them build a friendship. I was surprised to find out that it had become more. Halle told me when I was driving them home one day that Trevor asked her if she wanted to marry him when they were older. I said, "Really, what did you say?" She told me that she was deciding between Trevor and Owen. She then asked me if I knew who Owen was. When I said no she proceeded to tell me that he was her cousin. I'm laughing writing this now. I tried my darnedest to keep a straight face and laughed the rest of the way home after we dropped her off. Fast forward two weeks later. Her Mom had a baby and I was picking her up for preschool. After getting buckled in the car she started to become VERY sad about a tinsy tiny paper cut on her finger that she just discovered. She said how much she wanted to tell her Dad about it and tried to show it to Trevor. He pulled out his superhuman vision and told her that he wished that his van was a band aid van and could pop out a band aide for her. She looked at him utterly confused. Then she looked straight ahead, confused again, and said nothing for about 20 seconds. It was all I could do not to bust out laughing right then and there. Then she looked at him and said, "Trevor do you want to marry me when I grow up?" He said, "Well, I want to be a secret guy when I grow up, but I can marry you too." She smiled, I smiled and he was totally oblivious.
Lexi decided she was sick of diapers and potty trained herself. Going to the bathroom ten times a day is not the funnest thing, but no diapers is amazing. It's been seven years since I haven't had to buy diapers. I know I'm spoiled and I may be speaking too soon because she still sleeps with a pullup and I haven't been brave enough to take her out without a pullup, but after two boys I'm doing the dance of joy. Enough said there :)
And finally, some pictures that have been taken recently.

4 comments:
Lilly finally started watching tv and she is a big Dora fan! Much to the dismay of her big brother, she walks around singing those loud, somewhat obnoxious songs. I'm just happy for a "babysitter!" Love you guys!!!
Oh wow...this is a great post. I almost died laughing about Trevor's story about his 'future wife'!! So funny. And what child potty trains themselves? I am so jealous. Glad you guys had a safe trip and are home!
That was a good update, Haley. Good Luck to Wayne, I'll be excited to hear where you are off to next. I was looking at Lexi's picture, and something about her reminds me of my little Brynlee. I think maybe they have the same mouth. I don't know if that's it or not, I'm never good at picking things out like that, but something reminds me of each of them.
SIGH! I miss and love you. That's all :o)
Post a Comment