Sunday, March 10, 2013

Key West

Ahhh, where to begin with this one?  Wayne and I just returned from an amazing trip to Key West, Florida.  It was an early 15 year anniversary celebration.  We partied early because Wayne will be on a three month time intensive group of rotations over our actual anniversary.  We talked about a cruise, something tropical, something close just in case we couldn't find the sitting that we needed for the kids.  After deciding to take a quick trip to Chicago to celebrate my Mom saved the day and said that she would be able to come to frigid Minnesota to watch the kids.  Instead of Chicago I booked and all inclusive resort called Club Med in Key West, FL for four days.  To say we were thrilled would be a complete understatement.

Of course something had to throw off the PERFECT week we had planned.  I was going to pick up Mom in Minneapolis on Monday and just the two of us were going to have a girls day and night.  We would drive back on Tuesday then Wayne and I were scheduled to fly out on Wednesday.  Out of no where appeared a HUGE winter storm warning.  My Mom's flight was changed and the forecast said up to a foot of snow.  I was dying.  I was looking forward to this time with my Mom.  Thankfully she still arrived on Monday, we went to lunch, pampered ourselves with a pedicure, and shopped in Rochester.  That evening we tucked ourselves inside while it dumped and dumped outside.  Tuesday morning school was cancelled.   The snow stopped around dinnertime.  Wayne and I decided to head up to Minneapolis that night to avoid icy roads in the morning. 

We did some shopping, had dinner at Tucci's,  headed to the Sofitel, set the alarm for 4:00 a.m. and crashed.

It was 4:30 a.m. at the hotel in Minneapolis, 15 degrees outside.
Wednesday morning I was giddy.  Wayne and I haven't been somewhere warm in a LONG time.  We woke up to 15 degrees and landed in 70 degrees.  As we came down to baggage claim a driver for Club Med was waiting with a sign written with our last name.  We rode 45 minutes from West Palm Beach to Key West.  Can I say Florida is beautiful??  I LOVED it!
The keys to the resort.  This is what allowed us into everything.
Outside our room.
When we arrived we were starving.  The meals were served as an international buffet.  Lunch had just ended and dinner was still a few hours away.  The front desk told us about another restaurant that was open all day.  We went there and ordered some food.  We were pretty disappointed.  It made me wonder if we went to the right kind of resort, but dinner redeemed itself tenfold.   The white chocolate bread . . .I think I gained 3 pounds from bread alone.  That being said, the resort is geared to the active family/couple.  There were tons of healthy options and we loved trying new kinds of food every meal.  The rest of the day we relaxed.
Still in long pants just after we arrived.  Those didn't last long.
Those winter clothes were changed fast!
Notice my tan?  It's weird to be darker than Wayne. :)  That lasted about 5 days.
Children beware:  there is kissing in this post.
Thankfully we were incredibly active the majority of the time.  On Thursday we woke up early and ran.  I went to a body conditioning class at 10:30 and then we both went to Trapeze at 3:00.  That was a rush!  I am petrified of heights.  Wayne and I both flew.  I even did "the catch" where a pro also swings and you attempt to catch each other at the wrists.  I couldn't believe that I did it.  Crazy stuff. 

Wayne and I went to the hot tub every night and took in the beauty. 
Hanging out at the pool

Cute pedicure, right?
This is dark, but I just loved the sunset.
Friday we went to the gym, learned tennis with a tennis pro and went sailing in the afternoon.  That evening was the sports awards.  I earned an award for making the catch in Trapeze, ironically winning doubles tennis, and sailing.  Wayne also won an award for sailing.   I laughed about that tennis award.  He is hands down a much better player than I am.  That should have gone to him for sure.  I just ended up being on the winning side at the end of the lesson. 

Saturday morning we worked out and grabbed breakfast.  I think this was the fastest vacation we have ever had.  Knowing that the kids were having a ball with my Mom made it easy to want to stay longer.  Alas, we had to come home to reality. 

We bought two loaves of white chocolate chip bread and and the resort gave us three due to a mix up with the chef.  We were thrilled with an extra loaf. :) 
 


On our patio

Jellyfish season. 

Trapeze




Warrior wounds from the Trapeze

Getting ready to sail pirate style.  ARRRR.


At the pool

Why so serious?


Just before we left.

Look at the crab!

 

White chocolate bread.  Have I said it enough?  MMMMM.

Thank you Mom!!!  How did I not get a picture with all of us together!!!  I am so mad at myself right now!!  We all miss you already!

To my handsome best friend, thank you for the wonderful time.  I don't know what I did to get you, but I'm glad I did something right.  You are the best.  I love you.


No comments: