Friday, July 07, 2006

Splashdown Park and 4th of July


I am loving Wayne's Pathology rotation. The hours are amazing (about 1/2 of the long hospital hours). Monday was a holiday schedule (another great thing about Pathology). So, we decided to go to a water park in Manassas, VA. It's called Splashdown Park. After 4:00 they half the cost of admission and are still open until 7:00. It was perfect timing for our little family. The boys absolutely loved it. They have a lazy river and a whole bunch of kid friendly slides and pools. The water was the perfect temp. too. We'll definitely return. After two hours at the park all of the lifeguards blew their whistles and told everyone to exit the water. There was thunder and lightning. We only took one picture (because of the quick exit). I'll post it later. Jacob was bummed that we had to go, but said, "That's o.k., we'll come back soon."

Wayne also had July 4th off! Unbelieveable! We had a BBQ with a bunch of friends and then we ventured out to McIntire Park to see fireworks. This is the first year we have done fireworks in Charlottesville. When we got into the park there were firetrucks. Jacob was so excited! The ladder on the truck was extended all the way and attached was an american flag. The fire dept. let him sit in the truck and hold the steering wheel. He was in heaven. And of course, I did not have my camera. He loves firetrucks so much! I can't believe that I wasn't able to capture the moment. Then we went and got some pizza and freshly squeezed lemonade and hung out on our blanket. We ate, talked, and waited for the sky to be completely dark. Trevor was starting to melt down. He will not sleep outside of his crib. Occasionally he'll sleep in the car, but not for long. We thought we might need to leave and then the baseball field lights turned off and the show began. This was Jacob's first time seeing fireworks. He was a little scared and hung on to Wayne, but he liked them. Trevor was fascinated and immediately calmed down. They were amazing. We were able to watch about 15 minutes of the show before Trevor had enough. We gathered everything together. Wayne had Trevor in the kelty pack and Jacob was on my shoulders as we walked back to the car. As we came closer to the car the finale began. We turned around and watched the amazing spectacle. It was the best show I have ever seen. I found out yesterday that the Dave Matthews Band donates $40,000 for the show. I had no idea that they originated in Charlottesville. Anyway, the kids went to bed just after 10:00. It was a super late night for them, but I absolutely loved it and was so thankful for Wayne for wanting to go.

I spoke to a friend of Dean and Carrie's yesterday. He gave me some needed information about the Boston area. Wayne and I decided yesterday that he would at least apply to Massachusetts General. It would be a dream for him to go there and this would be the last time for anything like that before we put down roots. I'm exicted for him to get out on the interview trail and see the kind of vibes he gets.

Have a great day!

On the train at the mall at Short Pump. Jacob loves the blue train.


Trevor at the playground. He loves to play in the mulch.


Jacob and Trevor playing in the crib.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you had a good 4th!
Glad Wayne is able to be home more... awsome!
That water park sounds perfect.
I'm excited to see where you go too.

Rivka said...

I'm so glad there are other cool bloggers out there! I can't believe it's taken me so long to jump on the bandwagon! This really is a great way to keep track of each other now that we're all on our way out of C'ville!

p.s. Do I look stoned in my picture or what? I've gotta find a new one!

Unknown said...

Love the photos!