I admit it, I am a closet "blogaholic." I love reading about everyone's lives, and particularly love seeing what my beautiful wife has to say. That being said, I've been giving Haley grief because it has been awhile since she last posted. So what does she say? "Fine, you post something." Now I wonder what I have gotten myself into as I vainly attempt to navigate through the varitable plethora of random, and sometimes nauseating, backdrops which are available at the whim and disposal of my keystroke. Hmmm.... It might be best for my marriage if I stick to posting and avoid playing anymore with Haley's layout.
It's been a crazy month. For those of you who haven't seen Haley in a while, the woman is buff. As if training for marathons isn't enough, she came across an informercial for a training program called P90X, which she is now following faithfully. After joining her for one particularly brutal workout appropriately called, "The Ab Ripper," and afterward lying in a fetal position on the ground crying out, "Why? Why?," I have wisely chosen to leave it to her.
The kids are crazy, but wonderful. Jacob is reading likely a champ. His current book of choice, "The Adventures of Captain Poopypants." I'm glad that I don't have to take credit for him running around the house shouting out, "I'm Captin Pippy Peepy Poopypants." Sorry, hon, but you were the one who picked out that book. Trevor is his usual droley oberservant self. I love the fact that my three-year-old will often come up to me using phrases such as, "Well, that's awefully unusual, isn't it?" Alexis is a doll. An incredibly destructive and at times crazed spitfire who seems to have no other goal in life than tormenting Trevor, but she is so winsomely cute that all is forgiven after a single smile. I admit it, I'm a geek. I love having a little girl.
And as for me, I work.... alot. I'm just not very exciting, but I do have a bit of news. Haley and I went into this whole thing as a team. From the very beginning, she has had well-earned veto rights over any specialty. After much discussion, and a few vetoes along the way, I have decided that I am going to be a hospitalist. A hospitalist is a doctor who is trained to care for patients who are sick enough that they need to be hospitalized, but not ill enough that they need to be in an intensive care unit. It is a nice compromise between Haley's dream of me being a Dermatologist and my initial choice of being a Pulmonary/Critical Care doctor. As many of you know, I tend to like too many things in medicine, and have a hard time sticking with one specialty choice. So why put it out there in writing when the only thing certain with my career deciding skills is uncertainty? Let's just call this my version of a binding contract. There it is, Haley, set in stone. What this means, is that after my chief year, we will finally be done and ready to practice. In just over a year, I will start applying and interviewing for jobs. I admit, it's a crazy thought after spending 25 years of my life in school or residency training, but it will be nice to finally settle down. We will be looking for jobs in Boise, Salt Lake, Provo, Ogden, St. George, and Las Vegas. Knowing my track record of scaring my brothers and their families off, my third-born brother and his wife are probably packing their bags as we speak at the mere mention of Boise. In the words of my California-born, incredibly loud college roomate, "Wicked awesome! Peace!"
Week of September 16th, 2021
4 years ago

7 comments:
WOO-HOO!!! We vote for Boise!
Wayne, welcome to your blog :) We think you are hilarious. We enjoyed your post and hope to see more soon.
I am so excited!!! Hopefully somewhere close...it would be great to see you more than once a year!
Yay! So glad to hear this news is official. Coming from someone who is all for finishing ASAP (that would be moi) I'm so happy to see that at least 2 of the 6 places you could end up we could see ourselves ending up as well...let's be neighbors and train for marathons okay? Wouldn't that be great?
LOVE the update Wayne! Haley inspires me too! We are going do this crazy thing together..even though she is already way ahead of me. YEAH for hospitalists! You are so good at what you do. What a great life you have ahead of you!
Someone else who lives near you swears by P90X, too. Ask me about it sometime.
So--I swear we are living parallel lives. Casey went through so many of those same career scenarios! And I'm exactly like Haley--oh wait--except for I've never done a marathon, and I just did 4 weeks of P90X and got burnt out. But my biceps and tri's are looking pretty hot! ha ha!
Good luck with the job hunt! Hope all is well...
Post a Comment