Monday, October 13, 2008

Hartford Marathon


Oh yeah baby! It is DONE! The day couldn't have been more beautiful. It was a crisp fall morning. The changing red, orange and yellow leaves wallpapered the entire course. We ran through neighborhoods, parks, and downtown Hartford. There's a huge renovation going on there. It is gorgeous.

The day before the race Wayne, Alexis and I drove from Rochester to Hartford (Jacob and Trevor stayed with the Shermans - thanks!). It was about five and a half hours. On our way out the check engine light came on. I was dying! We were literally 10 minutes on the road. I knew of a dealership not far from where we were so we stopped. Thankfully it was a gas cap that wasn't screwed on tight enough. Lame, but I'm thankful that it wasn't anything serious.

We hopped back on the rode an hour later and arrived in Hartford around 4:30 p.m. We stayed at the Hilton which was literally next door to the expo. That was awesome. We checked in and walked over there. After picking up all the goods we headed for a carb loading feast. We found a yummy, but way too pricey restaurant. Oh well. There were only locally owned restaurants in the vicinity of our hotel. I really did not want to jump in the car again.

The race started at 8:00 a.m. I felt great until mile 17 or 18. My legs started to really tighten up. By mile 20 I was thinking that another six was a long way to go. I was still with the 4:30 pacers (which just cracked me up). I was sad when I kept slipping away. I felt like they were running eight minute miles. I was really shuffling along by the end. Wayne and Lexi were there cheering me on at mile 26. I was so thankful that there was only .2 miles left. After stepping over the finish I almost burst into tears. I finished in 4:36:58. I held it together and Wayne by some miracle found me. I was having a hard time walking. I grabbed some food and sat down to stretch. We were a bit rushed because we had to be checked out by 2:00, so we walked slowly to the hotel and dived into an ice bath and we drove six hours home! Yeah, that didn't do wonders for my body. I'm still incredibly tight. I'm a little worried about my left foot. It's sore on the very outside. I'm hoping it's just a bruise.

I'm going to run another! I'm just trying to decide Spring or Fall. Training in the winter is tough here!

9 comments:

Nelly said...

You are my hero! Way to go! Are there any marathons down here in AZ? If so, I'd be a good excuse to come visit us and I'd watch the kids for ya! ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Haley! That's awesome!

Scarehaircare said...

You Rock! I am so excited - my Garmin 205 came today with three books on women's marathon training and weight training. I'm a far ways away from running a marathon but I'm getting closer.

WendyJ said...

What an accomplishment!! Congratulations.

Natalie said...

You are my hero, Haley. Way to go! You amaze me.

Jen Richards said...

Haley!!!! Congrats on your marathon- you are so inspiring! I am so sorry I forgot to ask you about it when I saw you yesterday. For some reason I thought it was this weekend. Anway, so glad you finished- and did so well. I don't have my phone with me today, but you can e-mail me at jen.s.richards@gmail.com. Again, congrats and SO sorry I did not call you to wish you luck!

Suzanne said...

Haley-You are D'Bomb!! You have inspired me to get my rear in gear. I am thinking of running again and running a half marathon next spring. Heck, maybe a marathon in the fall! Ha Ha! -Suzanne

Jen Merrill said...

haley, you rock! i check your blog from time to time and love seeing that sweet little alexis. congrats on the marathon!

Jaime said...

YEAH HALEY!!! I'm so proud of you sista! Way to go! I'll be with you on the next one (or the one after that!) But regardless, you certainly are the awesomest chick I know to do all that training and get it done - way to go! Awesome time!